Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's a Baby!




I had my first OB appointment yesterday for Baby. I'm at 9 weeks and 3 days. That means only 9 more weeks to go and I can have my ultrasound and find out if it's a boy or girl. I can't wait! I hope that I'll be able to go out and buy pink and purple clothes with lace and ruffles. :)

Everything was normal. On the scan you could see the heart fluttering, but it's too early to hear yet. I think next month I should be able to hear it. I did have to switch doctors from last time. My doctor with Jacob moved to Wisconsin. I went to the same practice and just randomly picked a doctor. I lucked out! I really like her. I'll be delivering at Banner Thunderbird again. That's at 59th Ave and Thunderbird. It's only 10 minutes from my mom's house.

One troubling thing that did come up was that this medication that I was one during both Johnny and Jacob's pregnancies has now been listed as one that you can't take while you are pregnant. I had normal pregnancies and deliveries with both of them, but now I'm worried about any long term affects. I'll have to do some research. The doctor switched my to a new medication, which I hope works as well as the old. One good thing is that with this new medication I can breast feed. To be honest, when I was told that I would not be able to breast feed before, I was relieved. At that time I knew no one who breast feed and it seemed a little weird to me. Now that everyone I know seems to breast and not bottle feed I'm more comfortable with the idea. I am still pretty confused by the whole thing though:

How does the whole pumping thing work? If you pump then doesn't it take awhile to fill back up? Won't the baby get hungry? I just don't get it.

Also they sell all those special clothes to make it easier to feed. Are those really necessary?

Do they really want to eat like every 2 hours? If so how on earth will I get any sleep?

Are Johnny and Jacob going to freak out seeing me breast feed?

I know that I'll end up trying to do it, since I've decided that it is better for the baby than formula. I just need to figure this thing out. I think I'm going to take a class at the hospital. I also want to find a "breast feeding mentor". Someone who would be willing if needed to come see me at the hospital and then come over when I'm back home if I need help. It's been my experience with Johnny and Jacob that sometimes you get really nice and helpful nurses at the hospital and sometimes you get ones who make you wonder why they ever chose nursing as a career. Neither my mom or sister breast fed their kids so I'm out of luck there. I just have horrible visions of my baby starving and no one there to help me out. Dramatic I know.

Anyways, I'm really excited and I can't wait until 3/5/09. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahoo! How exciting! Doesn't seeing the baby make it real??? I am anxious to find out whether you will have a boy or girl~!

God's Girl said...

What awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us! You have a cutie pie in there. What do you think... a boy or a girl???

Love to you!

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Girl, come over here and we need to have a talk. :) I'm happy for you that you'll have a chance to breastfeed.

I'm already looking at pinks and purples for you, too! :)

Missionary Hicks said...

YAY Baby pictures. Can't wait to know if it's a boy or girl!

Meli_Mama said...

I am so hoping it's a girl. "They" say that if you carry high it's a girl and that if you carry low it's a boy. Well I'm already starting to carry high. I have to start wearing maternity tops, but not bottoms yet. So maybe it will be a girl. I'll let you all know in about 9 weeks when I have my second ultrasound.

Aimee- said...

GIRL, GIRL, GIRL! PINK, PINK, PINK!
Those are really nice ultrasound pics! Sometimes they are so small you have no clue! Hurry up 9 weeks! Can't wait to hear and watch these 9 months go by and then to finally see and meet your little sweet bundle!

My Blessed Life said...

I am praying for a girl.