Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Summer Reading - Week 1

We headed over to the library on Tuesday after music class. I already had 2 books reserved for the boys and then I let them pick out 2 more each. Here's what we ended up with:




The boys and I love this book! They make choo choo noises while I read it. It's also good for learning colors and the names of the different types of train cars. I will be adding this to our home library.





I thought this would be a hit especially with Jacob since he loves dogs, but it was just okay.









Love it! Jacob grabbed this book because of the elephant. It's just a simple board book with photographs of different animals and their names. I was surprised at how many Johnny knew since it goes beyond the typical dog, cat, chicken and has a penguin, owl, and fox among others. When he got to the hen he called it a "cock-a-doo" which was cute. If we didn't already own several similar books this would be one to add to our library.







I didn't mean to, but I reserved this book from the library. We own two other Jesse Bear books that I really love (Better Not Get Wet, Jesse Bear! and Jesse Bear, What Will you Wear?). This book was cute, but I really like the way the other Jesse Bear books have unique internal rhyming schemes and they are just fun to read. Now this would be a good book to go along with learning about different family relationships or if you wanted to create a family tree with your child. `


I am so not a fan of Seuss. Jacob liked the zebra on the front of this book. I let them choose a few random books when we go to the library. I only put them back if I think they are offensive (like the one around Halloween time with the witch stirring the cauldron). But I think I'm going to have to skip the Seuss section from now on. This book is about the 20 or so letters of the alphabet beyond Z. It was hard to read, and the boys were so not interested either. Except for one page with a picture of about 20 nutches in nitches and Johnny pointed to each one and I had to say "nutch in a nitch".




The boy's both love this book. I'm not a fan of books with TV characters. Jacob picked out this book and Johnny immediately stole it from him. It's neat in that it goes through all the steps of getting ready for bed - brushing teeth, going potty, etc. What's funny is that it asks what song you sing at bedtime and Johnny answers with this song that I can't figure out. I'm not one to sing him to sleep. :)`

1 comment:

Monica said...

Love these; we love the train one! Hey, you should link up to the Read Aloud Thursday @ Hope is the Word blog. (Click the button on my blog to go) It's fun to get more traffic to your blog and learn what other people are reading, too.

Hope your day is okay.....