Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bountiful Baskets


A couple weeks ago I tried Bountiful Baskets. It's a co-op where you pay $16.50 ($18.50 for first-timers) for a basket of fruit and veggies that you go and pick-up at Surprise Park (they also have other pick-up locations throughout the valley). They also go in together to purchase other items like organic fruit and veggie baskets, bread, cheese, cooking packs, beef, and more. I'm not sure how much money I saved (I'm not good and tracking what I spend on groceries), but here is what came in my basket:

1 bunch of asparagus
1 head of romaine lettuce
1 bunch of spinach
1 container of strawberries
2 red peppers
1 cauliflower
10 tomatoes
7 bananas
6 peaches
5 pluots
7 pears
9 apples

All of the produce was fresh and we ate all of it except for the apples within a week. My boys and I are not picky about fruits and veggies. I didn't think we'd like the cauliflower, but I steamed it for dinner one night and we all ate it and had leftovers for lunch the next day. I haven't decided if we'll buy this again. They deliver every two weeks and the next pick-up day is the Saturday of retreat. It's just that we tend to eat more fruit than veggies and it only lasted us one week. I could buy 2 baskets, but I think it would spoil by the second week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you guys like the pluots? I recently bought some and didn't care for them.

Are you still on for tomorrow?

Meli_Mama said...

By tomorrow do you mean my ultrasound? If so then yes - it's at 10:00.

Yes we liked the pluots. I think they are sweeter than plums and the pit is smaller so you get more fruit. :) It's not that great for the kids though. I found that I had to be eating one and then just let them take bites.

Erica said...

Oh good! I'm so glad you posted this. We LOVE pluots so to hear they came in your basket makes me so happy! I think I'll register and try it next go round. I've had the email about it but haven't done it yet.