Before Five In a Row
Five in a row is a literature based program for school-age children where you read the same book each day for a week and then do different activities based on the book for social studies, language, art, applied mathematics, and science. The first book in the series Before Five in a Row is specifically for children ages 2-4.

It has recommended activities for 24 different children's picture books. These are very simple. For example after reading Jesse Bear, What Will you Wear? you can ask your child to look at the pages and see how many bears they can find. Also they have a separate section on different activities to do with your child to help develop large and gross motor skills and things to keep them occupied while your in the kitchen or at the grocery store. I am very excited by the book suggestions. We have a ton of books and both Johnny and Jacob enjoy it when I read to them, but a lot of the books are pretty boring. So far all of the books that I've looked up on Amazon have really good stories and good illustrations. My only problem is that I've decided that I'd like to own these books rather than check them out of the library so now I've been spending a lot of time between eBay and Amazon trying to get the best deals. :)Rod and Staff - About 3 Workbooks

For the last month or so every time Johnny sees me sitting at the kitchen table making out my grocery list he has to have his own pen and paper. One day I left him at the table and when I came back he had "added" to my list. I should have saved the paper to show you. In straight lines he had added a series of loops as if he was trying to imitate cursive writing. These workbooks start out developing pre-writing skills by having the kids draw lines left to right. Later on there are coloring and cut and paste activities. They were very cheap and I thought it would be a fun way for him to practice his "writing".
So now onto the conference. I ended up spending way more time attending vendor workshops and looking at curriculum than I planned on. I did however walk away with a lot of good ideas for what I think I want to do in the future.
Teach 4 Mastery - Scaredy Cat Reading System
Do you remember learning how to read? I sure don't. I know that I struggled and I think that laid the foundation for my hatred of reading and literature all throughout school. I love to read now though. I don't think I was taught using phonics. I remember in about the third grade being pulled out of class for special instruction in phonics as a "new" approach. Even to this day when I am reading a new word I am unable to sound it out. I really couldn't tell you the difference between long and short vowels and all that other stuff. So I am really excited about this reading systems. It teaches phonics by making up stories for why the letters sound the way they do. I think it's going to be fun. I like hands-on stuff. I was a little worried because there is a video segment for each lesson, but I talked to the owner and he said that his preference is for the parents to watch the videos without their kids and then teach their kids the lessons. I bought the initial DVD which just introduces all of the letters and why they sound the way they do. I probably won't use it until next year, but I want to have it on hand for whenever Johnny is ready.Teach 4 Mastery - Scribble to Scribe
This writing program goes along with the Scaredy Cat Reading System. One interesting thing is that the workbooks come with an musical CD to be played while the children write. I guess research has shown that in kids and adults who are re-learning after an accident, that they learn better/faster when music is played. I went a head and purchased both of their workbooks - the first is pre-writing skills and the second is making the actual letters. Again, I probably won't use this for a year or so, but I liked it so much I couldn't help myself.
Sonlight

I have absolutely fallen in love with this curriculum! The core is literature based and combines literature and history. You can also purchase your math, science, electives, Bible study, and language arts through them. I do still like Math-U-See better than their program (Horizons). And I also want to use Scaredy Cat for the first couple of years until they move from learning to read into grammar. I did really like their science program - at least what I saw for Kindergarten. What I really like is that they have a program beginning with 3-4 year olds that I can start next year (2009-2010). It's similar to my description of Before Five in A Row where you read books and then do activities based on the books - there are just way more books. I also looked at their "Pre-K" and Kindergarten curriculum and really just liked what I saw. The books look so interesting. I just can't get myself excited about teaching out of a text book. I like the way the program is set-up for parent read-aloud time and student read silently time. I mean how fun does that sound to curl up on the couch reading with your kids and then engaging them in discussions? Oh I can't wait!
Melissa and Doug
One of the vendor booths sold some really neat Melissa and Doug toys. I just love their products. My husband loves anything made out of wood so he likes them too. :) Heres's what I got for Johnny:

Latches Board

Primary Lacing Beads
Jumbo Watercolors Set
Jumbo BrushesI'll have to post pictures of Johnny and his watercolors tomorrow. He had so much fun with them!
I'm going to wrap up this post for tonight. I might post again tomorrow about one more vendor, Accountable Kids, and also my thoughts on the regular workshops that I attended. I will say that even though my kids are young I am really glad that I went this year. I felt that God confirmed my choice to homeschool.
Monica, I am so glad that you were my convention buddy this year! I had so much fun with you. I love how respectful you are of everyone's choices regarding whether or not to homeschool as well as what curriculum to choose. You have done so much research and I just love picking your brain. :)
Monica, I am so glad that you were my convention buddy this year! I had so much fun with you. I love how respectful you are of everyone's choices regarding whether or not to homeschool as well as what curriculum to choose. You have done so much research and I just love picking your brain. :)




4 comments:
I love the Melissa and Doug stuff you got - I think those are going to make our Christmas lists this year - especially the latch puzzle. We went to the library the other day and Titus just loves that one. I think it's genius.
I'm so glad you are excited about everything we saw! I, too, love to sit and pour over the Sonlight catalog. (I wish TOG had one!) Books are my addiction and I know what you mean about wanting to buy every single one. I was sitting last night watching TV and Carl had his car magazine and I had my Sonlight catalog. :)
Hey, you know what else I did? I took all my catalogs that I like or thought I might like in the future and put them in a large 3 ring binder...now they're all in one place....just an idea....
I'm glad we can be homeschool buddies, too! :) And our kids can be homeschool buddies, also! I was just telling Carl last night that I definitely see a need for joining a co-op/support group sometime in the near future. Let's investigate and try to do that together!
I read on Monica's blog that you attended the "Accountable Kids" workshop. I have been looking at their system, but I am concerned that it is very parent intensive. Did you feel it would be hard for the parent to keep up? I know that all these tools take time since we are using them to train our children, so I want to have a realistic idea on much time this will take. What are your thoughts?
I have never used any kind of chore chart since my boy's are only 2 1/2 and 16 months so I don't have anything to compare Accountable Kids to. That being said, the mom who did the presentation made it sound like it was very easy on the parents. Basically she said that normally you would have to say "go clean your room", check that it's clean, then discipline if it's not, etc. With this they know what "chores" need to be done each time of day. It's up to them to look at their tags, complete their chores, then come to mom for a ticket. I think the key to the system is the tickets. You might need to cut back on some things that you allow your girls to do now for free. IE TV/computer time. That way they have to earn a ticket in order to get 15 minutes of TV time. Now that may be hard to enforce. She's been using the system for 3 years and really seems to like it. I guess it's one of those try it and see. :)
I hope that helps!
Thank you, I really like the idea that they need to earn TV/computer time or something similar. I will keep praying before I make the leap to purchase.
Post a Comment